SoFloPoJo Contents: Essays * Interviews * Reviews * Visual Art * Video * Special Section * SUBMIT * Archives
We are now reading for the May 2022 issue.
SoFloPoJo has migrated to Submittable as of January 2021.
There are NO READING FEES.
All Poetry, Essay, Flash Fiction, & Video submissions
should be submitted through our Submittable page.
After reviewing our guidelines please use the SUBMIT button at the bottom of this page.
What’s Your Favorite Poetry Event?
For the February 2022 Special Section,
please tell us about your favorite poetry residence,
reading series, festival, conference, colony, workshop,
writing program, etc. When did you attend?
Was there a poet or author there with whom you
worked? What advice did you receive that
has helped your work or career? Do you have photos?
Attach them! Perhaps we’ll use one. Put SPECIAL SECTION
in your submission title.
Thank you for thinking of South Florida Poetry Journal as an opportunity to showcase your work. We want poetry, flash fiction and essays that inspire, stimulate, evoke, emote, shock and surprise. We want poetry performed well on video that is dynamic and exciting. Transport us by your words to wondrous and strange places, and familiar places that you have made new. Please send us your best work.
We read year-round. We publish quarterly:
February, May, August and November.
- By submitting to SoFloPoJo you attest that your submission is your original unpublished work.
- Please submit 3 to 5 unpublished poems in one document on our Submittable page. We prefer 12 pt. font in Times New Roman or similar in .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf format.
- Please do not include your name, email, or other identifying info on your poems.
- Please only one submission of up to 5 poems per reading period: Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please withdraw your piece right away once it is no longer available.
- We respectfully request that once you have acknowledged our acceptance, you do not withdraw your submission. We will gladly discuss any extenuating circumstances.
- Please include a brief third-person bio and tell us what city/town you live in. SoFloPoJo reserves the right to edit bios for length.
- If we accept or reject your submission please wait 6 months before submitting again.
- SoFloPoJo may add your email address to our contact list; if you do not wish to be added to our email list, please let us know.
- SoFloPoJo retains First Serial Rights, and the right to electronically archive and/or reprint your work in a SoFloPoJo print anthology.
- Once published, SoFloPoJo may feature your work on our Social Media, YouTube, or Facebook Channels.
- SoFloPoJo nominates published work for Pushcart, Best of the Net, etc.
- Following publication, all rights revert back to the author.
- If your work is reprinted or anthologized elsewhere, please credit SoFloPoJo or South Florida Poetry Journal as the place where your work first appeared.
- Please tell the world your work has been accepted, and send them the link after it appears!
- Once your work is accepted we will contact you regarding optional audio files and headshots.
- We’re looking for personal essays related to being a writer. (We interpret this very broadly!) Highly technical craft essays are not a good fit for us. If you have something you think we’d be interested in, send it our way. Or, if you have an in-progress idea on which you’d like a bit of feedback, we’d love to hear from you. We’re excited about working with new and published essayists alike.
- We publish approximately two essays in each issue. Check our website to read what we’ve published: SouthFloridaPoetryJournal.com.
- Approximate word count: 1,000-1,500 words. Unfortunately, we are not able to pay contributors.
- Use the Submit button below or search "SoFloPoJo Essay" on the Submittable Discover Page.
- Please submit on our Submittable page. (link below)
- Up to 750 words.
- Include a brief third-person bio and tell us what city/town you live in.
- One file per submission, simultaneous submissions allowed, please withdraw your piece if it is accepted elsewhere.
- Send inquiries regarding performance/Slam, Spoken Word, or other vibrant poetry readings recorded on video to Managing Editor Michael Mackin O'Mara through our Submittable Call for Video Submissions.
- Use the Submit button below or search "SoFloPoJo Video" on the Submittable Discover Page.
- To submit or query about Visual Art please contact Art Editor Kristine Snodgrass at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send a query to Lenny DellaRocca at email@example.com if you have written a review you'd like us to publish.